Sunday, May 20, 2007

Does Anybody Know About UK Citizenship Law?

I need your help.

While surfing the net (don't ask me how I got to this page) I found this info on British citizenship. http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/applying/nationality/ It contains the following:

“Applications under section 4B - Lebanese nationalsFollowing recent judicial review applications we are seeking expert opinion on the interpretation of Lebanese citizenship law. As a result, we are at present unable to decide any section 4B cases from possible Lebanese citizens and such cases will be held pending clarification. If you, your father or grandfather were born in the Lebanon you may wish to wait until the matter has been resolved before submitting an application under section 4B. We will update the website when we are in a position to decide these cases.”

It looks like there is some legal controversy as to whether Lebanese can get UK citizenship. I poked around and did not find much.

My grandfathers were born in Lebanon more than 100 years ago. Back when it was under the Ottoman Empire. So, am I a Brit? Isn’t that everybody’s dream – an American passport and a European one!

So, who knows what this is all about? Please write a post or send me an e-mail message.

1 comment:

Nadia said...

Yes, I want to know too! My dad was born in Lebanon, although he is Palestinian. Does that mean I'm a Brit too? Right now I'm just an American.